Caring for your worktop is not difficult, however we recommend that our customers read our guide prior to purchase.
If you have any questions regarding the care and maintenance on your product; please do not hesitate to be in touch! We are here to help!
Liquids are not able to penetrate our Solid Surfaces, although it is generally a good idea to remove spills as they occur. A damp microfibre cloth combined with a standard kitchen spray should remove the majority of stains.
One fantastic benefit of our Surfaces, is that they are so easy to clean! For most residues, warm soapy water or ammonia based household cleaners is all you will need! We recommend avoiding window cleaners though, as these can leave a wax build up which can dull the colour of the surface.
Standing water should not be left to dry on the surface, this can also create a film which can dull the surface making it appear blotchy and uneven. To prevent this buildup, simply do not leave standing water to dry on the surface.
Depending on your chosen colour, your surface may require more frequent cleaning to maintain its uniform finish. Darker colours in general, require more TLC than lighter colours. Over a long period of time, your countertop may require a sheen. Darker colours may show light scratches more readily. However, this is a simple process which can be easily arranged with us here at Premier Trade Surfaces LTD.
Maintaining Your Solid Sink Surface
On a weekly basis, we recommend that you give your sink a beauty treatment by removing all of the oil and fat residues of normal food preparation from the sink using a detergent or hard surface cleaner. Using a spray with 3/4 of liquid household bleach and 1/4 water to spray the sink and leave to stand overnight. This exposure time should be limited to 16 hours. In the morning, thoroughly rinse and clean with a damp cloth. This requires very little effort, and the results are impressive!
Dealing with resistant stains
Hard water can be a problem in some areas, and with time, hard water can build up. If you are experiencing problems with stain removal, DuPont Corian suggest “applying “Viakal” gel over the area and leave for 2-4 minutes, then remove with a damp microfibre cloth. Using a second clean microfibres cloth, rinse the area thoroughly with water. Use a damp microfibres cloth and a mild abrasive cleaning product.”
Generally, all stains are easily removed, however, each Solid Surface brand may have there own unique advice for removing common household stains. These can include; vinegar, coffee, dyes, wine, vegetable spills. To find out more, please contact us to discuss caring for your worktop.
In almost all cases, Premier Trade Surfaces will be able to repair your worktop if it becomes damaged. To prevent any permanent damage to your counter, it is recommended to follow the following instructions.
* Whilst our products are generally heat resistant, it is important to minimise direct heat exposure to protect your surface and investment.
* Heat marks & scorching: Always use a heat pad, trivet (with rubber feet) or protective sink mat for hot cookware. Or leave cookware to cool first. Heat can damage any surface, however boiling water alone will not damage your surface or sink.
* Scratches: Like all materials, Solid Surfaces will develop slight abrasion marks in normal everyday use. NEVER CUT OR CHOP on our solid surfaces; this can heavily scratch the surface. Dark, heavily pigmented colours will show scratches, dust and ordinary wear and tear more readily than lighter, textured colours. We are able to provide practical chopping boards which can be heavily used and sanded down from time to time to remove the scratches. Contact us to discuss any chopping board related queries.
* Chemical Spills: Accidental spills of strong chemicals should be flushed promptly with plenty of soapy water to avoid damaging the counter! For varnish spills, non-acetone based remover can be used, and then flushes with water. Undetected or prolonged exposure to chemicals may damage the surface.
* Instant Boiling Water Taps (IMPORTANT): A container should always be used to collect the boiling water; damage can incur from spillages in and around the sink, and this IS NOT COVERED under our 10 year warranty.
No matter what happens, do not despair!
Our products are inherently “renewable” because it is solid and homogeneous throughout the sheet. Most damage from severe impacts, heat and chemical damage can be repaired easily on site, restoring your countertop to its original, smooth, hygienic state.
Solid Surfaces are remarkably durable, however, in the event that a countertop does get lightly scratched, most repairs can be handled by the average homeowner.
Over time, you may notice that your countertop is starting to look blotchy. This is typically caused by letting hard water dry on the surface, leaving behind a film of minerals. To remove such stains, follow these simple steps:
– Pour some mild abrasive liquid cleanser, such as ‘Soft Scrub’, on a damp sponge or cloth and rub over the area in circular motions. Rubbing from front to back, and then from side to side, overlapping the circles until the entire area has been cleaned. Thoroughly rinse the countertop with clean water and wipe the surface completely dry.
– Check to see if the blotchiness has gone. If not, repeat the above procedure, applying more pressure on the sponge or cloth.
Removing Fine Scratches
Although our surfaces can be renewed by sanding them down, it may be possible to remove fine scratches by following these simple steps:
– Wash the area where the scratch is located, using the cleaning techniques as described above.
– Remove any film on the surface, as this can clog the abrasive pads.
– Leave the worktop wet, and start rubbing the affected area with the peach coloured side of the cleaning pan. Use a light touch. Pressing too hard may actually leave deeper scratches!
– Periodically, switch. Rubbing direction ninety degrees. Rise the pad from time to time during this process to remove any build up of residue. Ensure all scratches are removed.
– Clean thoroughly with water and dry. Check to see if the sanded area blends with the rest of the countertop. If necessary, turn the pad over and repeat the process.
Remember: We’re here to help!
We are authorised Corian, Staron, HI-MAC and Hanex retailers. When stubborn scratches or damages arise, our partner brands recommend you use our professional services to repair your countertop. We have over a decade of trading and have built up a great relationship with our community in the Midlands. Remember that all of our work tops are covered under warranty, and should any problems occur, do not despair!